Thursday, April 26, 2007

The first Corbie Street Winner

In the dinner I mentioned recently we tasted a number of other wines. Scott brought the 'winning' wine - ie the wine we all (collectively) rated as the best on the night. It was a Penfolds 1998 St Henri Shiraz.

The AFL gives an award of the Norm Smith medal for the Best on Ground during the grand final. Maybe we should start giving just the 'Norm' award for best wine of the night?? If so, Scott was a worthy 'Norm'. Don't worry too much mate, be thankful we didn't name the award Dick, Bevan or something worse. 'Norm' is better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick!

We have already discussed the other wines, being Penfolds 1998 Bin 389 Cab/Shiraz and the Orlando 1998 St Hugo Cabernet Sauvignon.

Penfolds 1998 St Henri Shiraz
Our notes for the evening show: The wine was dark red to purple in colour with a big caramel and burnt toffee on the nose. Medium to full bodied with big fruit flavours, firm tannins, and well balanced with good length. Overall rating of 92-95/100 and scoring the various characteristics 18-18.5/20. Other reviews here.

The other wines we drank on that night were:

Orlando 1996 St Hugo Cabernet Sauvignon
Red to dark red. Blackcurrents on a very subtle (or somewhat closed) nose. The wine was described by my compadres as "luscious"and "elegant" and definitely had soft tannins and quite a long finish. The only drawback was the intensity of flavour was not there. 90-92/100 or 17.5/20

Some other reviews are here.

Penfolds 1996 Bin 389 Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz
Dark red with pepper, black fruit and a hint of acetone (? - wierd). Little intensity of flavour and we were obviously either half-cut by then or just not too impressed as there are hardly any notes to the wine. I do recall thinking that it was past its prime. It may have just been this bottle. 88-90/100 and 17/20.

Other reviews here.

d'Arenburg 1999 The Coppermine Road Cabernet Sauvignon
Dark red to purple. Big spicy pepper nose. Good fruit flavours but falling flat of the promise of the nose. Firm but gentle tannins with little length. Again somewhat disappointing. 88-89/100 or 17.5/20.

Other reviews here:

I have cleared the decks from this dinner by posting the rest of the wines as we have since had another dinner with the same Corbie Street crew and want to get to those wines asap.

Well done Scotty - this time. It will be hard to keep it up as everyone else is out to beat you next time.

Drink Well - Live Well!!





4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mal
My name is Sorin Mihailovici and I live in Edmonton, Canada. I have been working in a major liquor store here for the last five years and I could say I am a big wine enthusiast! I just came across your blog and I am glad I found it. It seems like you put a lot of work into it.
While working in my liquor store, I also decided to go to school - I am a student now taking TV productions at one of the most prestigious colleges in Western Canada, Grant MacEwan College.
Trying to mix my two passions I have created a couple of short movies - one is a minute and a half long, the other one 59 sec. The fist one is called "Remove red wine stains with white wine!" and the other one is "Open a bottle of wine without a corkscrew". Although they are short I put several hours of work into them.
If you have a couple of free minutes please take a look at them. If you like them maybe you could post them on your blog up for a discussion (maybe as a topic idea), I would really like to know people's opinion. (underneath every movie there is the embed code - copy and paste it on your blog so people could just click on it...)
If you don't like them I apologize for taking you the time to read my message.
Regardless of your answer - thank you and I will see you on your blog!
There are my movies:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/732526/remove_wine_stains_with_milk_or_white_wine/
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/724199/open_a_bottle_of_wine_without_corkscrew/

Thank you,
Sorin

P.S. If you copy and paste the embed code (and not only the link) along with your text then the video will show up right in your article and will look good. The advantage is that your blog will be featured by my movie so will get more views. Make sure that after you watch the movie you press the "Blog/Embed player" - a small grey button under the movie screen, check the small box "Feature my blog here" and then copy and paste the embeddable player code into your article.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Hi there,
I just came across your site and I was wondering if you would be interested in contributing to winesocial.com.au. I am looking for people who enjoy talking about wine to write short reviews of wine that they have recently tried in order to create a searchable database and online community. The only stipulation is that they have to be Aus/NZ wines as this is our focus.

If you join the site, no obligation to add a review, you automatically enter into the draw of our competition to win a gourmet food and wine hamper and I would really like to hear the thoughts of wine lovers like yourselves in order to help develop the site and tweak the features.

We would appreciate any feedback you have on the site.

Kind regards,
Jon
http://www.winesocial.com.au

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Scott Rivera said...

I have tried Penfolds 1998 St Henri Shiraz.Aromatic, complex and silky, slipping in its gorgeous blackberry, currant and plum fruit against a seething background of toast, spice, mineral and loamy earth. The texture is seamless, and the flavors just take off, sailing through the long, expressive finish. Best from 2011 through 2020.I like to drink wine with my Cuban cigars.As Cuban cigars are not available in US market,I Buy Cigars over the internet.

12:40 AM  
Anonymous tax return calculator said...

Hey Buddy Well Information In This Post.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed
Enter your Email and receive the latest posts immediately


Powered by FeedBlitz