Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Cornas Domaine Vincent Paris 2003

We drank this at Rob's on Saturday night (as per previous post).

I picked this up on a whim (and the recommendation of Tony Harper at the Wine Emporium). It is my first ever French Shiraz.

It was a very dark red/purple and had a whopping 14.9% alcohol but you couldn't tell - or I couldn't anyway.

It was very very stinky. It had a very rustic nose and shouted leafy, vegetal, earthy, cabbage, mossy.

There was an amazing intensity of flavour and very good length with the flavour highlighted by black fruits of some description, that escaped me.

This was a big wine but at the same time elegant and well structured and will last another 10 years at least. It cost $65 - and to follow Murray's lead at Winetastic - Would I buy it again? Absolutely!

My overall rating was


90-93/100

(Rob was arguing for a 95 - possibly it was! Rob went as far as to say it was the best French wine he had tasted of the ones I have purchased recently)

Scoring the individual components I gave it


18.5-19/20




2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate the 2003 vintage from the Rhone Valley..but not tried this wine (I think). If you like Cornas may I recommend the wines of Thierry Allemand..1999,2000,2001 vintages. They are exquisite..and modestly priced ($50-60 at auction). FWIW the 2004 DB Yarra Syrah (I think) has some Cornas qualities about it.
GW

9:27 PM  
Blogger Mal said...

GW

I will have a look for it next time I'm at the Wine Emporium.

My brother in law was keen on a 95 out of 100. I am sitting on 90-93, but I really did enjoy it.

As for DB Yarra Syrah - fantastic. I only bought it because of your note - Thanks!!

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed
Enter your Email and receive the latest posts immediately


Powered by FeedBlitz